Friday, January 14, 2011

Should Christians swear an 'Oath of Allegiance'...?

The "Oath of Allegiance"that must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

In the fall of 2003 the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services planned to change the oath of citizenship to:

'Solemnly, freely, and without mental reservation, I hereby renounce under oath all allegiance to any foreign state. My fidelity and allegiance from this day forward is to the United States of America. I pledge to support, honor, and be loyal to the United States, its Constitution, and its laws. Where and if lawfully required, I further commit myself to defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, either by military, noncombatant, or civilian service. This I do solemnly swear, so help me God.'

But that change didn't end up happening. I read this yesterday during our planning of a potential 'citizenship class' in the Spring for refugees planning to take the test for citizenship. I am not sure how the refugees from Burma will think about such language, especially since many are here with an underlying hope to return and very deep seated nationalistic convictions regarding their homeland, Burma and the traditions and culture of the KaRen people.

But, then I too felt weird listening to the language in this 'oath' and thought about Jesus's words in Matthew 5:33-37:

“Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

There are many aspects to being an earthly citizen that seem to me to contradict one's citizenship in Heaven. Figuring out how to live as you should with such pressures is a difficult part of following the Jesus of the gospels. I know that most of all this kind of stuff is ignored or minimized in most Christian circles but there are moments when I truly wonder if we are calling people to the true gospel or have simply passed on an Americanized version of a civic faith that is rooted more in the values and traditions of American culture than the way of Jesus.

No comments: