Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Patriotism, pacifism and just warriors


This interview with Stanley Hauerwas was a breath of fresh air to me. Why oh why are such lucid minds so hard to find in the church today?

Here are some great quotes from the article...gold...pure gold, I tell you:

"If you’re a just warrior, you’re going to have to watch the innocent suffer for your convictions – just like the pacifist does."

"The war on terrorism could not possibly be a just war. I don’t even think it’s a war, I mean that’s a metaphorical use of the word “war” that comes from Americans’ views of – you know, the “war on drugs”, the “war on crime” – I mean, it’s just crap."

"You know, I’m not trying to call Christians out of being politically involved; I just want them to be there as Christians. And instead, what they get is they think they have a personal relationship with Jesus, which makes it OK for them to do anything that they damn well please, in the name of what’s important for national defence. Well, Jesus is a political saviour, and that prayer is a political prayer. And that’s the kind of seizing of the imagination I’m trying to help Christians regain in America. Because in America, Christians just cannot distinguish themselves – what it means to be Christian, they assume it goes hand in hand with what it means to be an American. And that’s just a deep mistake. But how to help Christians recover that difference is very difficult indeed."

If you want more Stanley go here.

No comments: